8/28/2006

Over-Blogged?

Looking at the last couple of weeks of posts on my Bloglines made me wonder: what's the ideal number of blog posts per day from a reader's perspective -- assuming they're good -- and does a blog that posts a lot necessarily have any more to say or ... just think it does?

'Cuz there are certainly some busy folks out there, including espresso (59 posts in the past two weeks), ROTLC and the AFTies (45), Eduwonk (40), and School Me! (39).

Three a day for two weeks (M-F) would get you to 30 posts over the past two weeks. That seems about right to me, at least for an individual blogger. Four a day would get you to 40 posts, and to get over 40, you're doing 5 or more posts a day, on average, which -- for me, at least -- wouldn't leave a lot of time to think or get any other work done. Not that I'm known for getting much done anyway.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is always tension between my "must do" list and my "wanna blog" impulse. Blogging has to come second for me, as it's entirely optional in my case. But even when I'm not posting, I'm mentally tagging items as bloggable. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

12:27 PM  
Blogger anonymous educator said...

I won't hold back just for the sake of holding back, but 2 a day is about right for me.

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assuming the posts have quality content there are many reasons for doing 4+ posts per day such as pagerank, backlinks, and plain 'ole content creation. Deep content gives you a lot of stuff to hook search engine users with. It also keeps your blog near the top of such services as Technorati or more blog specific sites as PFBlogs.org.

Great post!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Darren said...

Dang. I'm not #1.

7:34 PM  
Blogger EHT said...

Double Dang! I'm not even on your list.....:)

I agree with Paul. I am constantly tagging events, things I hear, ideas that pop into my head as possible post material. I carry a notebook around all day and if something pops into my head I try to write it down because if I save it for later it's gone.

I like to complete a post everyday, but the demands of my students come first and it's not always possible, but I don't think I can go longer than 3-4 days without posting. I love doing it!

5:20 PM  
Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Thank God I'm not #1. I DO have a life, after all.

Don't I?

I just spew stuff out as it strikes. This summer I had more energy.

Honestly, sometimes the blog is just a place to decompress rather than a place to be deep. I'm already wide ;-P

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home