2/13/2005

Remembering Grant Pick (Chicago IL)

Since Grant Pick died earlier this month, lots has been said about him, including some beautiful remembrances at his service, a Michael Miner column in the Reader and on WBEZ and a piece by Andrew Patner on WFMT:

Grant Pick, reporter for Reader, People Chicago Sun-Times
Critics Choice: Grant Pick WFMT
Hot Type Chicago Reader
Eight Forty-Eight Chicago Public Radio (audio)

Pretty much everyone knew Grant Pick better than I did. I don’t really remember his trademark laugh. I wasn’t on the list of people he sent postcards. I never met his family.

Still, I am not entirely without qualification, having thanked him on the dedications page of a book I edited last year and having named one of my resolutions to be a better writer after him. And, among many, I was a great fan of his.

I don’t remember exactly how I met him or when we started having regular lunches, but soon enough I came to rely on them. Usually, Grant would tell me about the stories he was working on, ask after my writing, and chide me for my lazy and anxious writing habits. He himself, as much as his writing, is a great reminder of the importance of noticing things.

Perhaps most notable, however, is the way that Grant managed to balance – or even integrate – professional accomplishments and human decency. Grant’s accomplishments as a writer were neither widely known nor insignificant. Hopefully they will be freed someday from the Reader’s pay-per-article clutches. But his accomplishments as a family member and community leader seem no less developed. How many of us can claim such balance?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grant Pick wrote an article about my best friend and myself that told what Transgendered people are really like. It was done with such grace and dignity that our Community will be forever grateful.
It is required reading at some Colleges before we do an Outreach Program.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home