3/30/2006

March Blog Madness: Five Blogs To Drop Now

After two years of trying to keep up with ever more education blogs, I give up. There are new ones every week. There are way too many of them on my Bloglines list.

Like this one, however, most really aren't all that good. No wonder that there are very few outside this little world who give a hoot what any of us say. Many education blogs say the same predictable things or pass along the same predictable links. Few education bloggers have any real expertise or particular insight. Even fewer provide any new reporting or original content.

And so I'm going to cut out a few, for now at least, starting with these five. And no one but the 100 of us who have education blogs will really care.

READ MORE>>

Looking over my over-long list of blogs, these are the five that seem like ones I can stop reading -- for now at least:

Daily Howler: An awful RSS feed. A crazed, obsessive, perhaps brilliant blogger. Completely unreadable and possibly unreliable. It has to go.

Get On The Bus: Written by a Dayton education reporter who can't really comment for journalistic reasons. Items, not blogging. May be useful to others, but too local for my taste.

Schools Matter: Just a little too angry and loose with the facts for my liking. Predictable, at least occasionally overly personal in its attacks. Bye!

Teaching in the 408: I so want to find and love a teacher/classroom blog, but this one's a downer despite the occasionally funny things it has to say about TFA.

The Quick and the Ed: One too many bites at the apple for the Education Sector, much as I admire all the Sectorans. Let me know when it's not mostly rehashing Andy's stuff and style.

What do you think? Any you'd keep? Any I've missed?

6 Comments:

Blogger Kilian Betlach said...

Aw man, dropped.

Do I get a consloation prize T-shirt?

A coffee mug?

1:37 PM  
Blogger Coach Brown said...

Interesting that you drop blogs because they are too much of a "downer". Maybe a real representation of education?

4:14 PM  
Blogger James Horn said...

I hope you are ready to document how I "am loose with the facts." If you are not, I would recommend a retraction immediately.

Jim Horn
Schools Matter

8:50 PM  
Blogger Alexander Russo said...

tmao -- i'm working on the mugs.

coach brown -- good point. maybe subconsciously i only want happy blogs.

prof. horn -- your profanity-laced and threatening email sort of proves my point about the anger issues, doesn't it?

9:05 PM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

He doesn't seem to be contesting the anger thing. But I think he asked you to demonstrate how he was "loose with the facts."

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RETRACT NOTHING, RUSSO! HORN IS A CRANK!

I just visited Horn's website, Schools Matter. My god- how insanely partisan and bellicose! This is Horn's idea of printing "facts":

NCLB is "An education policy that traumatizes children, destroys the desire to learn, and corrupts the purposes for learning should be eliminated, not reformed."

This is noise, nothing but screetching noise. Nobody of good sense could possibly enjoy reading such a publication.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home