4/21/2005

Best and Worst of Education Blogs (Media Coverage)

There's lots to love and hate about the fast-growing world of education blogs, electronic newsletters, and the like. Herewith some of the most obvious compliments and complaints, to which I hope many will add their own much better observations:

The good ones...

Find some news or source that others may not have seen.

Provide a reality check on pronouncements from on high.
Come from a variety of perspectives, ideological and functional.
Are written by knowledgeable people.
Are fun and fast, or insightful and deep.
Try to add some humor.

The bad ones...

All link to the same 10 links as everyone else.
Contain posts that don’t really add much.
Tend to focus on “lite” topics like red ink and dress codes.
Are pompous and full of themselves (mine especially).

Really just don’t know what the hell they’re talking about.
Lack any real reporting (personal recollections don't count).
Are wildly over-inclusive and indiscriminate about what they post.

Are institutional or ideological outlets, not really blogs.
Have "cute" names like college singing groups.
Don’t offer RSS syndication so you actually have to visit the site.
Are organized chronologically or by publication.
All use the same Blogger template as I do (or I use theirs).
Don't hardly ever challenge (or praise) each other.

Next week:


The 10 best and worst education blogs out there.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Alexander. I'd love to see what you come up with (even if you add mine to the worst!). Great idea, really.

Best,
Mike

11:20 AM  
Blogger Darren said...

Who do I have to suck up to in order to get my own blog on the good list??? It's RightOnTheLeftCoast.blogspot.com....

3:01 PM  
Blogger Blogger said...

I thought I would take this opportunity to tell your viewers about a new project I am working on. I am at the beginning stages of creating a book that centers on the personal stories of NYC Public School Teachers. If this is something you are interested in please visit my website for more information: http://teachersspeak.blogspot.com

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home