9/18/2006

What Prompts Readers To Comment?

What prompts you to write a comment on a blog? As I was reading Jenny D's blog I was noticing her relatively large numbers of comments (meaning: she has them, regularly, unlike many other education blogs), I started thinking about what it was about her posts that prompted some many comments.

For example, Jenny D posts often enough -- not every day, not several times a day, but often enough. Maybe that encourages readers to reflect rather than move on to the next post. Also, her posts are well researched an thoughtful, which is not always the case on other blogs. It's worth noting that she includes many of her own personal experiences she encounters while pursuing her doctoral degree, which may also engage readers. And she often asks a prompting question or discusses a person or event that brought up controversial issues -- rather than purporting to have the answer. Of course, Jenny D has also developed a "fan club," a handful of people who tend to comment often on the same blog, regardless of the topic.

Comment sections are great places for the real "debates" to take place, and for bloggers to learn and think as well as pontificate.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenny D. said...

Let me comment on your compliment! Thanks. I think debate is the best part of this.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Margaret Paynich said...

You're welcome and thanks for creating the debates that you do!

10:21 AM  
Blogger IB a Math Teacher said...

Just thought this would be a good place to put a comment. I'm not sure why.

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Steve Bailey said...

Forget blogging -- I'm an ex-teacher who wrote an entire comedy movie script about my 10 years of teaching experiences. The script is posted for free reading at: www.testingthescript.com

Steve Bailey
E-mail: steve.bailey@mindless.com

8:04 PM  
Blogger Andrew Pass Educational Services, LLC said...

I've often wondered the same thing myself. Maybe if I start commenting on Jenny D's blog, others will start commenting on my blog. But then again, I'm not sure if reciprocity has anything to do with it?

Andrew Pass
http://www.Pass-Ed.com/blogger.html

9:42 PM  
Blogger Margaret Paynich said...

Thanks for all your comments! on commenting. I think to get comments you really need to ask the reader something, and commenting on others blogs is certainly a good way to get exposure to the people who tend to comment the most...and those of you who comment often on many blogs know who i'm referring too....

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home